Understanding Tax Treatment for NPS: Benefits and Regulations

Taxation of National Pension System (NPS) Contributions:

Contributions made to the NPS are eligible for tax benefits under Section 80CCD of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Here’s how it works:

  1. For Employees: Employees contributing to the NPS through the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) can claim a deduction of up to 10% of their salary (basic salary plus dearness allowance) under Section 80CCD(1) of the Income Tax Act. This deduction is over and above the limit of Rs. 1.5 lakh available under Section 80C.
  2. For Self-Employed Individuals: Self-employed individuals can also avail of tax benefits by contributing to the NPS. They can claim a deduction of up to 20% of their gross total income under Section 80CCD(1), subject to a maximum limit of 1.5 lakh.
  3. Additional Tax Benefit: An additional deduction of up to Rs. 50,000 is available for contributions made to the NPS under Section 80CCD(1B). This is often referred to as the “exclusive NPS tax benefit.”

Taxation of NPS Withdrawals:

The tax treatment of NPS withdrawals depends on whether it’s a partial withdrawal or a lump-sum withdrawal at maturity:

  1. Partial Withdrawal: Partial withdrawals from the NPS are tax-exempt up to a certain limit. As per current regulations, you can make up to three partial withdrawals during your NPS tenure, subject to specific conditions.
  2. Lump-Sum Withdrawal at Maturity: When you retire or reach the age of 60, you can withdraw up to 60% of your NPS corpus as a lump sum. This lump-sum withdrawal is tax-exempt. The remaining 40% must be used to purchase an annuity, and the annuity income is taxable as per your tax slab.

Taxation of Annuity Income:

The income generated from the annuity purchased with the NPS corpus is taxable as per your tax slab in the year it is received.

Taxation on Premature Exit:

If you decide to exit the NPS before the age of 60, and the total accumulated corpus is not used for purchasing an annuity, then 80% of the corpus is taxable as income under the head “Income from Other Sources.”


Understanding the tax treatment available for NPS is crucial for making informed financial decisions. NPS offers significant tax benefits on contributions and partial withdrawals, making it an attractive retirement savings option. However, it’s essential to be aware of the tax implications at the time of maturity and during annuity income. Consulting with a tax advisor or financial expert can help you optimize your NPS investment strategy based on your individual financial goals and circumstances.

To Join Our WhatsApp Group for the latest Finance related News… Click here to get all the latest and important news..